Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Local Church - A Laboratory for Life

I love the local church!

I was born into a family that attended a local church. I had no choice in the matter. My parents took me to church. I learned to love the church at a very young age. I was led to Christ through the life and witness of my parents and through the faithful witness of a local church. I was discipled in a local church. I was called to preach in a local church. I was married in a local church. I was ordained to the ministry in a local church. I have been preaching in a local church since 1983. I love the local church!

As I think about it, the local church is like a laboratory for life. I have been equipped for life because of faithful Christians who gave their time, gifts and energy to people like me. As an adult, I am learning how to live the Christian life through my local church. I am learning about fellowship, maturity, love, grace, worship, friendship, vocation -- and many other things -- through the life and testimony of a local church.

I love this image of a laboratory. Ingredients are being mixed into my life that will enrich me and make be a stronger, better follower of Christ. As I invest my gifts through the local body of believers, I am growing in my understanding of applied Christianity. It is not a journey in abstracts -- it is a real journey in real life.

The church is the perfect place for these lessons. It is uniquely gifted by God for such a task. Praise God for the church!

Next time . . . The Local Church - A Laboratory for Missions

Blessings,

Dennis R. Wiles

No comments: