Wednesday, February 11, 2015

When in Rome . . .

I've just returned from leading my 7th annual Church History tour of Rome. Once again, I was overwhelmed and blessed by the experience. My colleagues, Curt and Kim Grice handle all of the logistics of the trip. I am always indebted to them in particular.

We take about 30 church members each year. We spend the week walking through the streets of Rome and through the history of both Christianity and western civilization. I love it. There is no other city in the world like Rome. It offers me an opportunity to teach my people about the history of Christianity in a setting unparalleled in the world.


We spend our time viewing the ancient sites, historically significant places, churches (lots of churches) and living in community for a few days. I do several lectures each day to set the context of what we are seeing and how it fits into The Big Story. We read the story of Jesus and the writings of Paul and connect them all to the city of Rome. Did I say I love it?

I probably have two favorite eras of Church History: Ancient Christianity and the Reformation. Our tour allows me the opportunity to address both of these significant periods of the history of Christianity against the backdrop of both the seat of the Roman Empire and the Roman Catholic Church. It truly is a unique experience and offers our people a different setting for a spiritually formative exercise.

The story of Christianity is a remarkable one. It begins as a small Jewish sect in an outlier province of the Roman Empire. Caesar Augustus is fully in control of the Empire at this point in history. The city of Rome itself is on its way to becoming the metropolitan wonder of the ancient world. In less than 325 years, this small Jewish sect becomes the dominant religious choice of the Gentile population of the Empire. The Christianization of the Roman Empire is one of the most incredible stories in the history of humanity.

Christian communities appeared in all of the major metropolitan areas of the Roman Empire. Alexandria, Antioch, Ephesus, Corinth and Rome itself were all affected by the rapid growth of the numbers of Christians within them. The pastors of these churches were brilliant leaders who led the Church to grapple with the complex theological issues at hand. Believers spilled their blood along the way as the Gospel took hold of the ancient world.

I am always humbled by re-visiting this story in its Roman setting. I thank God for such a sturdy Gospel that truly has changed the world. When in Rome -- I am always encouraged and reminded of the commission to take this Gospel to the ends of the earth.

No comments: